Thursday, November 20, 2008

Infomania

I've started a blog for work, & I'm training some colleagues too. I must be completely out of my mind.

I'm still a bit puzzled by the blog thing. I enjoy meeting people in person. In cyberspace, are people even real? And the relationships are very different; a bit detached? Intimate in a sort of anonymous way. It reminds me of backpacking in Europe. Friendly strangers, who shared such details, then moved on.  I like the connections - the people are real, by the way! And I like the way ideas float in & out of my head & end up on the screen for me to see later. And for you to see, I hope!

My array of blogs are meant to have individual themes run through them. This works to an extent, which might seem to contradict the words above. All a bit odd.

And as for information overload... I read on the Macquarie Dictionary site the word infomania is back, the meaning slightly altered. I think Arthur C Clark came up with that, in the 70s? He saw it as an obsession, a mania, & risky too.

It's got this strange pull, this blog thing. It's the modern pamphleteering, and oddly addictive. 
Use it carefully (ho ho), & you get a lot out of it.

1 comment:

ringleader said...

Its all alot of work. I am writing my own blog at paperbarkproductions dot com about SEM, the future of the internet etc and am finding that there are so many time consuming options out there to help its starting to really fizz my mind.